Syracuse University

Center for Fellowship & Scholarship Advising

Pickering Foreign Affairs Fellowship

About the Pickering Foreign Affairs Fellowship

To attract and prepare students for entry into the U.S. Department of State Foreign Service by funding a Master’s degree in a relevant field of study.

What exactly is the Foreign Service? The mission of a U.S. diplomat in the Foreign Service is to promote peace, support prosperity, and protect American citizens while advancing the interests of the U.S. abroad. Foreign Service officers work in a variety of positions and tracks around the globe, but generally, serving as a U.S. diplomat requires fortitude, flexibility, the ability to adapt to changing situations, and cultures other than your own. The job requires strong language skills and the ability to flourish in a constantly changing environment—Foreign Service officers change jobs and locations every 2-4 years. It’s a challenging and rewarding career path.

The Pickering Graduate Fellowship is designed to support two years of graduate study, frequently for a master’s degree, offering tuition and living stipends. The Pickering Undergraduate Fellowship supports the student’s senior year of undergraduate study and one year of graduate study, frequently for a master’s degree, offering tuition and living stipends. All Pickering Fellows benefit from summer internships and mentoring by a Foreign Service officer. Following the completion of graduate study, Fellows must enter the Foreign Service for at least three years.

Location of award, if applicable: U.S. university and internships in Washington, D.C.

Eligible applicants:

– are seniors or alumni
– are seeking admission to graduate school for the following academic year
– are eager to embark on an international career path and want to enter the US Department of State Foreign Service
– have at least a 3.2 GPA
– are US citizens

University endorsement required?


Citizenship requirement:

Must be U.S. citizen

The Pickering Foreign Affairs Fellowship application process:

Start by reviewing the program website for information on the program requirements and eligibility.

Contact CFSA and your mentor(s) to discuss your interest in the program and plans to apply.

Research graduate programs relevant to the Foreign Service. Eligible two-year, full-time master’s degree programs include either public policy, international affairs, public administration, or in an academic field such as business, economics, political science, sociology, or foreign languages. Only programs at U.S. graduate institutions are eligible.

Applications open in fall.

Application components include:
– completed online application
– transcript(s)
– proof of US citizenship
– GRE or GMAT scores
– a personal statement
– an updated resume
– statement of financial need
– two letters of recommendation

Application deadline is in mid January.

Interested? Contact CFSA for more information on how to get started!

Advising contact:

Jolynn Parker  Email: More Information:

Enter any terms you are interested, such as “Government” or “Biotechnology”,